Law Enforcement Releases Additional Information In Regard To Sunday’s Standoff in North Platte

Local Law Enforcement has released additional information in regard to the hours long standoff that occurred Sunday, November 20, 2022 in North Platte. According to a press release from the North Platte Police Department officers were dispatched to the area of Buffalo Bill Ave and Anna Ave to conduct a welfare check on a male subject who was reportedly acting erratic. Upon arrival, law enforcement located the subject who was brandishing a golf club. The man retreated into a nearby residence and fired projectiles at the responding officers, cracking a windshield on one of the patrol cars.

The man would not respond to the officers repeated request to exit the house and barricaded himself inside. Even threating to kill the responding officers while causing extensive damage to the home and throwing items out of broken windows toward the officers. The North Platte Police Department reports that the scene was secured and additional assistance was requested from the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office and Nebraska State Patrol. Attempts to create meaningful dialog with the man were unsuccessful prompting authorities to deploy chemical agents. Officers were able to talk the man into surrendering around 10:30 Sunday evening. The 33-year-old male was taken into emergency protective custody and transported to Great Plains Health.

According to a press release from the North Platte Police Department, the incident was complicated by someone trespassing using an unmanned aircraft in violation of Nebraska State Statue 28-521 (2). That matter will be investigated independently, and anyone having information concerning the unmanned aircraft is encouraged to contact the police department. In addition, the North Platte Police Department reported a local media outlet chose to live stream the incident. Stating in their Monday afternoon press release that such conduct provides the suspect with real time intelligence to counter police tactics. Participating in this type of activity makes the situation more dangerous for the responding officers, according to the North Platte Police Department. For the protection of law enforcement and the general public the North Platte Police Department has requested people stay away from the scene and wait until law enforcement has time to resolve the situation and release factual information.

A copy of the press release issued by the North Platte Police Department can be found with the attachment below.